Friday, May 9, 2008

NEW Class offered at Brea Bead Works

I'm offering a brand-NEW workshop at Brea Bead Works in Brea, California on May 24. If you're going to be in Southern California over the weekend, I hope you can pop in for the class, which is held Saturday.
The "Rosie Posy" pendant I'll be teaching on Saturday is an original design that I'm really excited about. It's a fun and unusual way to use the Knifty Knitter small flower loom (only about $4) with fine-gauge wire plus your favorite small beads and pearls.
This actually ties into my previous post about sources of inspiration.
Last winter, I was shopping with my mom at our local WalMart store (where I routinely buy tons of birdseed and squirrel food for the critters), and she wanted to check out the yarn in the craft section, so I went along with her. That's where I found the Knifty Knitter flower loom. It's a small round loom originally intended for making decorative raffia flowers. Hmm... not sure who would want to do that! But I picked it up anyway, and my creative brain started ticking away.
It wasn't much of a stretch, really, to think of using sterling silver or copper wire instead of raffia to make a metal-based flower with the loom. But I also devised a creative way to use my wire-working and forging skills to turn the petals into real, lifelike shapes. Adding tiny bead dangles made from garnets and pearls to the center of the flower turned it into a very pretty work of art. I also devised a way to turn the completed flower into a pendant.
From there, I again turned to my wire-wrapping and forging skills to create a beautiful neck wire twined and wrapped with more pearls and garnets; a chain around the back with a handmade clasp completes the necklace.
Needless to say, this is an intermediate- to advanced-level workshop! But for those of you who are in this area and looking for a brand-new design to test your skills, I encourage you to enroll. You can call Brea Bead Works at 714 671-9976 for more information.
I'd love to see you in the workshop! You can find a supply list here.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Bullion Exchanges is a well known Precious Metals Shop established in New York City's Diamond District.

Bullion Exchanges have a large inventory of items including, precious metals that range from the gold and silver to platinum and palladium.

They are offering a wide selection of products appealing to first time buyers and experienced collectors.