Friday, June 20, 2008

No place like home...


There's just no place like home. And if you're very fortunate, home is in Idyllwild, California.
I've been away for a week in Colorado shooting a series of step-by-step photos for a new book I'm writing for Interweave Press, and I had a terrific time. The folks at Interweave are so kind and big-hearted and thoroughly professional, they are a dream to work with. We made a lot of progress together in one week, and today I flew home just in time to join my folks (seen above) for dinner at our favorite restaurant, Cafe Aroma. Notice my mom is wearing an Ethnic Coin Necklace similar to the one I demonstrate on my latest DVD, Ethnic Style Jewelry Workshop.
Aroma is a terrific little bistro with great food and a well chosen wine list, and they provide nightly entertainment as well. Tonight jazz pianist Barnaby Finch presented a new band he's recently formed, "The Straightjackets." Joining Barnaby on sax was Paul Carman, with Bill Saita on bass and Jeff Olson keeping the rhythm on drums. We all loved this new band, and if you want to see them in action you can still catch them at Cafe Aroma—reservations are a VERY good idea.
Phone: 951 659-5212
Although my new book won't be available until September 2009, I'll keep you posted now and again as things develop and as soon as I have a definite title and cover photo I'll post it here. I can tell you that this particular book has some great projects in it, including my Sombrero Ring and Spider Weave Pendant, and some cool copper jewelry as well as submissions from guest artists like Richard Salley and Rachel Nelson-Smith.
It's good to be back!
Sharilyn

2 comments:

Carole Segal said...

Hi Sharilyn, I want to go to the Aroma Cafe.....it looks great. Finally, I get to see your Mom and Dad, they look great too....so does the necklace on your Mom. Carole

Julie van Oosten said...

Great cafe, I remember when I visited last year and there was snow on the ground and I had a lovely breakfast with you and your sweet parents!

cheers, Julie