Sunday, August 31, 2008

Instant Abstract Art at Brea Bead Works

I call this "instant abstract art" because it's so easy and fun.
While teaching my Faux Metals workshop at Brea Bead Works on Saturday, I used a paper towel to blot my paintbrush, removing excess acrylic paint (metallic Lumieres) from the brush because we dry-brush paint our faux-metal charms. The paper towel looked kind of pretty, so I thought I'd see what I could do with it.
Squirting some watery, dye-like acrylic paint (turquoise) all over the towel was easy enough. As you can see, the blobs of acrylic paint resist the dye, so it forms a background color. A bright hot color such as orange or red-orange would have looked great, too.
Anyway, once the dye was dry I decided to unify my "design" (such as it is!) by squirting out a line of periwinkle paint in a squiggly abstract shape all over the towel. I then used a paintbrush to feather the outer edges of the line, which makes it more interesting.
I then heat-set the paper towel and dried the paint by using a heat gun. All my painting needs now is a signature and a mat.
My process took about two minutes—instant abstract art!
Cheers,
Sharilyn

No comments: