Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bonnie & Jane's Necklaces

Bonnie Mincu and Jane Rieck are good friends from NYC who visited me last weekend for a Wild Wire Women Retreat. In my previous post, I showed you Jane's beautiful Ethnic Doves Necklace, which she made on Saturday during my Ethnic Coin Necklace workshop. Instead of using coins, Jane opted for copper dove pieces she had purchased at Metalliferous in NYC. She also altered the doves with hammering and texturing techniques before attaching them with copper tacks to handmade wire links (as demonstrated in close-up detail on my DVD, Ethnic Style Jewelry Workshop with Sharilyn Miller).
Jane's friend Bonnie, who is a very talented painter (check out her Web site), was another student who was just too creative to follow the usual pattern for my Ethnic Coin Necklace. She incorporated coil-wrapped beads (she made the gorgeous red beads you see here using multiple colors of polymer clay) and a big turquoise pendant, as well as the wire links and bead wraps we had learned on Friday during my 10 Trippy Tricks 2 workshop.
I just had to share these with you, I'm so PROUD of my talented students!
Cheers,
Sharilyn
ps My next retreat in Idyllwild will be held October 30-November 3 and has two openings. Be sure to contact me if you're interested in attending!

1 comment:

brendaj said...

Hi!
I am Brenda one of the participants at the Wire Retreat last weekend.
I just want to let everone know that my sister Barb and I have a web site together.(we were both at the retreat).

We have an Etsy site called
www.wiredwomendesigns.etsy.com.

Also My sister Barb shows her beautiful work at the Fireweed Gallery in Homer, Alaska...a funky, artsy community.

I have been selling my jewelry at the Portico Market at the Grove Arcade Historic Building in Downtown Asheville, NC. also another funky, artsy place, for a year and a half.
I also have pieces in the Asheville Art Museum.
If anyone is in our part of our areas please stop in and say hi!
Thanks,
Brenda Davis