Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Finally, we have hope!

Finally, finally, we have hope!
I am so inspired by the events that have transpired over the past 24 hours, I don't know if I can express what I'm feeling. I woke up this morning and, as always, began my day with prayers to God thanking Him for giving me my life. I always thank God every day for my family and friends, for giving me the gift of creativity, and for all the many, many blessings that He has given into my hands.
But this morning I had a new reason to thank God: We have a new president-elect, and he is destined for greatness.
I believe that Barack Obama will be one of the very best presidents the United States has ever seen. It's just a gut-level belief, a deep feeling I have that only time can prove out. I cannot tell you why I have this feeling, I just know that I know that I know that Barack Obama will be a catalyst for dramatic improvement in our country's future. His presidency will change our nation for the better, and the world with it.
It was wonderful beyond words to see our poor struggling country get together for one historic night and elect the man who will lead us into a hopeful future, but he cannot do it alone. We must all work together as a united people, forgetting our differences, putting our shameful past behind us.
I am so happy to BE happy for a change, so relieved to shrug off the bitterness and deep shame I have felt over the past eight years of simply being an American, the citizen of a country that I no longer recognized from my youth. I can be proud again to belong to this nation, because now we have hope.
Finally, finally, we have hope!
Thankfully an American,
Sharilyn Miller

2 comments:

julie grace said...

Sharilyn - it was so wonderful to read this piece on your blog and know that someone whose incredible creativity and generosity I've long admired feels the way I do about our next president and about our country. I share your joy and hope and optimism! Someday perhaps I will meet you and be able to express my gratitude to you in person for your inspiration and the knowledge you've so generously shared. Thank you, and I wish you a joyful holiday season.
Julie

lauren bacchus said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I am so happy that you voiced your sheer joy for the change that has come to America. I can't wait for our President-elect Obama to take office and start getting things accomplished.