Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sad News: Necklace Stolen!

I have some sad news to report: The necklace you see pictured above has been stolen.
The theft took place last Tuesday when a woman posing as a customer and potential student went to Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations in Palm Desert, California. All I know about the woman is that she has red hair, and had never been seen in the store before. She arrived during a very busy time, when students from another class were checking out and paying for materials. She asked a store employee to see and handle my necklace, and was allowed to do so. When the employee turned her back for a moment, the woman walked out of the store with my necklace and a bracelet made by another store employee.
It is very sad to hear of such a thing happening. Those of us who enjoy making jewelry and designing new, original pieces and also teaching our ideas and techniques to others feel that we are almost an extended family of artists. We tend to trust each other, and let our guards down. It would be nice to assume that the world is a good place full of good people, but unfortunately this is a fallen world, and we all give in to temptation from time to time.
Poor Monica, the owner of the store, is very distressed by this event. I do not hold it against her at all. She was not in the store at the time the theft occurred. Due to the theft, Monica has had to change her policies and will no longer allow any customer to handle or touch the class jewelry samples at any time. Jewelry will stay in a locked case at all times from now on. I applaud her decision and hope that this is an isolated incident, something that we can all learn from.
Meanwhile, if anyone sees this necklace on etsy or ebay or on the neck of some thief, please notify me. I would greatly appreciate it and hope to get my necklace back somehow.
A police report has been taken and there was insurance, but it is still just the saddest thing!
I'll be teaching the Fisherman's Catch Necklace this Saturday at Monica's. I hope to see some of my readers there!
Cheers,
Sharilyn
sharilynmiller@mac.com

2 comments:

Susan Williamson said...

What an awful experience Sharilyn. I've had had a handmade book and a couple of drawings stolen from venues in the past, and it's really upsetting. Somehow when you've made it yourself, you can help but take it more personally than if it was machine-made. I feel for you and really hope your gorgeous necklace is recovered.

Sharilyn Miller said...

Thank you, Susan. I feel the same—a sense of violation that I'm sure I would not feel if it were merely a purchased item.
Thanks so much for your support!
Sharilyn