Monday, April 20, 2009

Rosy Posy Pendant in Bead & Button

I didn't think I had much to blog about today, until I opened my mail and found that the publishers of Bead & Button magazine had sent me an advance copy of the June issue. My article on the Rosy-Posy Pendant, which I made on a flower loom, is found on page 56!
I'm really excited about this because it's my first time being published in B&B. I never thought they'd publish me since I'm a wire artist, not really a bead artist per se. So, I'm honored and delighted to have my article included in this issue, which should show up on newsstands within a week or two.
They didn't have room to print the story of how I thought up this design, so I'll share it here. I was shopping at WalMart with my mom about a year ago; she was looking for yarn. I don't care for the cheap yarn at WalMart but I tagged along anyway, and while Mom was choosing skeins I just browsed. And then I saw the knifty knitter flower loom.
I already had a knifty knitter round loom in several sizes, which I use to knit colorful hats to wear during the cold winter months here in Idyllwild. I just love my hats, because I use lots of pretty colors and then make huge pompoms for them. Fun! Anyway, when I saw the flower loom I picked it up and read the description, which basically said that the loom was intended for making raffia flowers.
I was not impressed with that idea, but the more I thought about it, the more intrigued I was to own this small round loom—too small to knit hats, as it only has 12 pegs, but who knows what I might do with it using wire and beads? So I bought it (for $4) and brought it home.
That's when I thought of using 20ga or 22ga sterling silver wire to make a flower, finer gauge wire such as 24ga to wrap tiny seed pearls in the center, and then turn the flower into a wearable pendant. I made the flower, and as soon as it popped off the loom I knew that I had to do more: shape all 36 flower petals and hammer them, really make it special. So I did... and, once it was finished, I actually liked it a lot.
It's kind of a girly design (for me, anyway); not at all ethnic or bold or earthy, so it doesn't really represent the type of wire art that I typically make. But I thought it was a fun design and that others might think so too. Funny enough, I tried teaching it at Brea Bead Works a few months ago, and nobody signed up for the class! Still, I thought it was an ideal project for a magazine, so I sent it to B&B, and now it's been published.
I hope you enjoy the article. Please write to me and tell me what you think!
Cheers,
Sharilyn

4 comments:

Karin said...

Wow Sharilyn that is so beautiful. Great idea!

zottb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blogger said...

Bullion Exchanges is a well known Bullion Shop located in New York City's Diamond District.

Bullion Exchanges have a massive inventory of items like, bullion that range from the ever popular gold & silver to platinum and palladium.

Bullion Exchanges are offering an enormous selection of products appealing to 1st time shoppers and established collectors.

Blogger said...

eToro is the most recommended forex broker for new and pro traders.