Friday, May 29, 2009

I've reclaimed my identity!

www.SharilynMiller.com
I've reclaimed my identity this morning—what a relief!
What happened is this: Logging onto my Web site (www.SharilynMiller.com) today, instead of finding the usual page popping up with soothing familiarity, I was confronted with a strange domain that I didn't recognize and a picture of some blonde lady smiling inanely at me.
"Who is that?" I wondered, and checked the URL I had logged onto. It was correct, but I refreshed the page anyway because obviously I had blundered onto someone else's Web page somehow. No, the blonde lady was back. Tried refreshing again. Still there, flashing big white teeth at me. By now, I was in a panic! Where is my Web site??????? What happened to me? (Note to self: I am not my Web site URL, even though it does carry my name. Of course I know this. Of course.)
So at this point I was really upset. I decided to visit my site host, which is where I originally built my site back in 2002 and continue to manage and edit it to this day—www.itsmysite.com. A terrific place to build a Web site, by the way. I don't know html code from astrophysics, but I was able to quickly and easily assemble a beautiful site that I continue to maintain myself, keeping it up to date without having to consult a page designer. I promise you, a 5-year-old could do this if I can.
So as soon as I logged into my personal account at itsmysite.com, I discovered what had happened: My domain name had expired as of May 29. Oh, that's all! A quick phone call to register.com and I was up and running again. Whew! HUGE sigh of relief. I've renewed my domain name and locked it in for the next 10 years, so I'm here to stay.
Of course, I am not my Web site. I know this! Of course I know this.
Still, it's great to be back.
Cheers,
Sharilyn

3 comments:

burntofferings said...

hi sharilyn... boy can i relate to this...lol!

disa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.

Blogger said...

Bluehost is definitely one of the best hosting company with plans for any hosting needs.