Monday, July 20, 2009

Great workshop held in Brea yesterday...

I was too pooped to post yesterday by the time I got home from teaching all day at Brea Bead Works (and driving two hours there and back to Idyllwild), so now that I've recovered nicely, I'm ready to post again.
It really was a terrific class: 10 students of varying levels of experience, but each one came with a positive attitude and a willingness to be creative and try new things. I love it when I have creative students! What a world of difference that makes.
We were able to discuss the possibilities of working with copper washers from Harbor Freight, texturing them with hammers and linking them into bracelets with figure-8 links. The opportunities for embellishment are practically endless; we added coin pearls and beads wire-wrapped to the centers, made our own clasps, coil-wrapped the washers with sterling silver wire that we then spiraled three times, and more.
I just wish the class could have been longer, which would have provided more time for instruction. We all needed more time! It also would have been great to use liver of sulfur on our bracelets—but it just wasn't possible, even in a full-day workshop. But, we accomplished a lot, and I'm (as usual) very proud of my students.
I'll be returning to teach at BBW on August 16 to teach a terrific NEW workshop: the Jamaica Me Happy necklace. It's a full-day workshop with lots of technique to cover, but the end result is a gorgeous neckpiece that you'll love wearing this summer and fall.
I hope to see some of you there! To see a supply list for the necklace, click here.
Cheers,
Sharilyn

No comments: