Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Foggy Day in Provence

Our departure from Provence on Sept. 17 was eerily beautiful. A deep fog bank visited in the early-morning hours, drenching the countryside with moisture. As we drove to the airport in Nice, the sunlight slanted through dark forests of trees up to their lower limbs in white, puffy clouds. Summer was definitely over; Fall has come to Provence.
Just before we departed for the airport, I was able to shoot a few photos of my students' jewelry. Here is a beautiful collection made by Audrey (above)...
And these beautiful pieces were made by Corinne (above).I was very taken with Martha's creative fibula pin (above). Beautiful!
Once in Nice, I had the afternoon to explore. So I took a taxi from my hotel to "old town," a bit disappointing really, rather touristy but OK. Since I'd had enough shopping, I decided to walk back to my hotel. Here's a shot of a building facade taken along the way... they aren't all this beautiful, but some of the buildings are quite striking.
It took an hour and a half for me to walk (briskly, I might add) to my hotel, which I reached just before dark. The exercise felt very good! But I was a little bit sad at the thought that I would be leaving my beloved France so soon.
I know that I will return someday. Until then, all I can do is say THANK YOU again to dear Anna Horn, my generous hostess in Provence, and look forward to my next adventure in Europe. In fact, I will be teaching a workshop series in Cortona, Italy Sept. 1-11, 2010. If you are interested in joining my group of student travelers, click here for more information.
Cheers,
Sharilyn

1 comment:

Kaleida Eclectics said...

Hi! I was really excited to receive your new copper jewelry book - I learned how to create wire jewelry with your 'Bird on a Wire' book - easy to understand, awesome book. Here's the first thing I made from your new book
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30874014
-I textured them with a spiral stamp, looking in to getting an embossing hammer as you mentioned in the book.
Bought some hardware store copper tubing - can't wait to try it! Thank you!!