Monday, November 2, 2009

Wire Art Jewelry: the latest news...

Some of my friends and students have been asking for the latest news on my new book release, and I can understand their anxiety because, after all, I did promise to make it available by October 31!
I just ran into a little snag on the production end, and decided to go with a different printer. It's no big deal, but my decision has delayed the book's release by a few days. My talented friend, Nancy Oh, is redesigning the layout (yet again!) to fit the parameters of the new printer's requirements. Once her work is done, Wire Art Jewelry will be ready to order—we expect by November 10.
I'm really very proud of this latest endeavor: my sixth art-instruction book and the first to be self-published. I learned a tremendous amount in the process of creating a new book full of my favorite designs, with my own photographs and (naturally) self-edited text. I have an ISBN code and a Library of Congress number, making me feel like an official book publisher. Who knows what this could lead to? More books, perhaps...
Wire Art Jewelry turned out to be much larger than I had originally intended. Instead of the 148 pages max I had planned for, it finished at 199! There are literally hundreds of step-out photos accompanied by detailed text describing how to make 16 new projects. In addition, you'll find a helpful guide to my favorite tools and materials and a big "basics" section up front, with 19 chapters on the various techniques you need in order to make the finished jewelry projects.
Is there some content overlap between this new jewelry making book and my previous ones (Bead on a Wire, Contemporary Copper Jewelry)? Well, yes, there is—by absolute necessity. It would be terrific if I could present a how-to book that presumed all potential readers had already read my previous books and mastered all the basic techniques. But, unfortunately, you just can't do that. So yes, there is some repeat info (how to make jump rings, wrapped eye-pin loops, etc.), but there are also some new ideas as well, even in the Basic Techniques section.
If you'd like to see all the jewelry samples from Wire Art Jewelry in full color, click here.
I hope you like it! It's coming out very soon now...
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

6 comments:

SharonP said...

I am anxiously awaiting your newest publication! I have all of your previous wire jewelry books and that is how I learned to work that wire! I am published myself now, something that thrills me, but to have published books, that is an accomplishment!

All the best,

Sharon

TesoriTrovati said...

Gah! Another must have book for my vast library...and I just placed an order with Amazon yesterday! I will be on the lookout for the release. Kudos on another sure hit! Enjoy the day! Erin

Adventures with Millie Making Jewelry said...

I have learned a lot from your book "Contemporary Copper Jewelry"! Your new projects look very exciting...I love the "bird's nest bangles" in your new book. What great projects!

Studio Sylvia said...

Wishing you every success with the new publication. Inspiring pieces!

Jen Crossley said...

where do you find the time Sharilyn I just got your last book.
Congratulations
Jen

Sharilyn Miller said...

Hi Jen,
Well, Contemporary Copper Jewelry, which came out last Sept., was actually written back in 2007/08. Once we finished the photo shoot at Interweave (summer before last), it was all up to the design department and printing to get it ready for press. My part was done by then. I started photographing and writing Wire Art Jewelry last April, and finished it in August. I really had hoped to have it out by the end of August, but it looks like it will be mid-November instead! Everything takes longer than you think it will...
Sharilyn