Monday, December 14, 2009

Biker-Chick Bangle Workshop this Friday

If you're interested in learning to make the coolest mixed-media bracelets ever, come join me in a workshop this Friday at Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations in Palm Desert. We'll use silver, copper and brass wire, found objects, coins, copper tubing (from the hardware store), and leftover beads from other projects to make a hip bangle-bracelet.
For info and a supply list, click here.
I haven't been blogging very much lately because I've been really super-busy re-photographing much of my jewelry. This is an ongoing project that began when I decided to publish a portfolio of my jewelry designs from 2001 through the present, and publish the photos in a small book entitled "100 Art-Jewelry Inspirations" (click here for information).
At first I thought that I could simply use the numerous photos that I have already collected over the years, photos that I use to promote my workshops. But then I decided that I'd really like to create a more professional look to my presentations. I considered hiring a photographer, but once I checked out the prices (from $60 to $90 per shot, ouch!) I realized that I would have to do it myself.
In the past I have used a light-tent system from Table Top Studio (click here to see the jewelry photo kit that I use) which has served me well for many years. I love this system because it allows me to create either simple shots or elaborately propped images that look like something out of a magazine. I can use various backgrounds such as handmade paper or fabric, tiles, etc. I love using props in my photos—interesting rocks, tree branches and bark, little arty objects that I pick up during my travels...
But I was hoping for something a bit different this time, and I found it! Table Top Studio has just come out with a new system called "Black Ice" which gives you that really cool black background with a spotlight on your subject. It's not nearly as easy to use as the photo cube, and takes a bit of practice setting it up just right, due to the reflective nature of the surface you photograph on. But, after a few tries I think I've gotten the hang of it. I believe my photos are turning out much better than before. I love the reflections and shadows, mmm-mmm!
The bangles pictured above are just one of many photos you will find in my new book, 100 Art-Jewelry Inspirations, which you can order at blurb.com. Or if you would like to make a Biker-Chick Bangle of your own, meet me at Monica's this Friday and we'll do it together.
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

No comments: