Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Filming in Loveland

Here I am in Loveland, Colorado, at the film studio at Interweave Press.
We're shooting a 60-minute video on DVD to be packaged in my book, Contemporary Copper Jewelry. My book sales are doing very well and the publishers thought it would be a nice added-value to package future copies with a DVD that goes into some of the details of how to make jewelry with copper wire and beads.
You can get your copy of my book with DVD this November... I'll post a message the day it's released!
Here's my capable crew, from left: Garrett Evans, video studio manager, who ran the entire production of the shoot and manned one camera; Rachel Link, producer, who manned one camera and did a lot of other stuff; Rebecca Campbell, managing editor, who watched the taping on screen and helped with suggestions for placement within the frame, and also did a lot of other stuff!
What a great team—everybody was thoroughly professional and very nice to work with as well. We had a great time together and I'll always appreciate them.
On the camera at right you can see an image of Johnny Depp. They used this image to help keep my attention where it belonged, on the main camera. Needless to say, it worked!
After the video shoot I had an on-camera interview with Tricia Waddell, acquisitions editor and good friend. I worked with Tricia on two of my books published by F&W Media (Rubber Stamped Jewelry and the bestselling Bead on a Wire), and I really appreciated her kindness and professionalism. When she moved to Interweave Press a few years ago I wanted to work with her again, so I approached her with the idea of a book on using copper wire to make jewelry.
The rest is history... and we now have a terrific book to be very proud of. Contemporary Copper Jewelry came out last September and has sold almost 15,000 copies to date! If you're interested in purchasing a copy, click here. But keep in mind, it won't have a DVD packaged with it until they release the new version of the book this fall.
Interweave Press is also sponsoring a wonderful wire jewelry retreat in southern California this October: Weekend with the Wire Masters. Altogether 10 wire "masters" will be present to offer numerous workshops on using wire to make beautiful and unusual jewelry. I hope to see you there!
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

5 comments:

thebearaffair said...

Thanks for the heads up on the new DVD. I already have the book but will look forward to the next one!! Cheers, Sally Hoffman

rachelnelsonsmith said...

What a great post! Rebecca had posted on Facebook image of Johnny and said her author was using him to calm her——of course now I know she was talking about you! What fun. I hope you're well. -R

Francy said...

I already purchased your book. Love it by the way!

Can we purchase just the DVD?

Sharilyn Miller said...

I'm not sure if they're going to make the DVD available as a stand-alone. But I have to say that if you purchase any of my own DVDs they also cover a LOT of territory as well; in fact much more than a 60-minute DVD can. Two of my DVDs are 2-1/2 hours long each, one is 3-1/2 hours long, and one is just under 4 hours long! Each retails for $29.95 and is a bargain. You can see clips from them and learn more about the contents of each by visiting www.filmbaby.com. Just type in my name, and all four DVDs will come up.

Shan said...

I am so thrilled with your new book. Trust life is treating you kindly. Hope you will have more inspirations.
God bless.
Web Designing