Sunday, October 17, 2010

NEW Vintage Button Brooch Workshop

Just got back home from Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations in Palm Desert, where I dropped off a couple of my newest creations: Vintage Button Brooches! I'll be teaching this fun class on Friday, Oct. 22, from 11 am to 4 pm. I hope you can make it!
The brooch—which can easily be converted into a pendant—includes a large (1- to 3-inch diameter) vintage button with a shank, coiled silver or copper wire, and additional beads, charms, small vintage buttons, watch parts and found objects of your choice. I made one in sterling silver wire (pictured above) and one in copper wire (pictured below). Looks fabulous on a jacket or sweater lapel, or you could attach it to a cool fabric purse as an embellishment.
You can find a class description and supply list by clicking here.
Vintage buttons are easy to find on auction sites such as ebay, in flea markets, at garage sales, or perhaps inside your own grandma's button box. I have purchased quite a few buttons off the internet, and also from some bead stores (such as Monica's) that carry them. One of my favorite activities while teaching in Europe is to attend as many flea markets as I can, in search of vintage buttons, coins, keys, and other fun items to use in my jewelry. Perhaps you have such a collection at home and don't know what to do with it? Bring it to Monica's and we'll discuss the possibilities!
In class I will show you how to use your vintage button to make a lovely coiled wire frame that also works as a pin-stem and catch, a handmade chain of wire links, various bead dangles and charms made with wire, beads, found objects, small buttons, etc. You can also use watch parts to make a "steampunk" version of the brooch.
Time permitting, I'll also show you how to artificially age your brooch in liver of sulfur, and polishing techniques. I'm really looking forward to this class and I know you will love the brooches you make with my new design! I'll also show you how to convert your pin into a pretty pendant.
To register for the class, call Monica's at 760-772-2400.
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

1 comment:

Blogger said...

eToro is the best forex broker for new and established traders.