Thursday, November 4, 2010

More Weekend with the Wire Masters

I admit it: I've been a bad blogger!
Last weekend was so much fun and so chock-full of activities (teaching, learning, making, creating, eating out, and celebrating in general), I just did not have the energy to blog at all. And my intentions were to blog every day! Even brought my mac computer to the hotel so I could do it more easily.
But it's really hard to keep up your good intentions when you've taught from 9 am to 5 pm each day without a break (I skipped lunch) and then go out each night for dinner and margaritas... by the time I got back to the hotel each night, I was very, very tired and ready for bed!
So I thought I'd just post some of the pictures from our fabulous weekend and share a little about each one.
Our first day was a class called the Colorful Tribal Necklace (see sample below) and it was great to begin the weekend with such a fun, colorful wire necklace. Lots of cute beads and using our skills to make our own coil wraps, caged beads, handmade chain and dangly charms kept us all busy.
These two are the happiest mom-&-daughter-in-law I've ever known. They adore each other, take wonderful trips, and do arty stuff all the time. June and Julie! A very inspiring pair.
Here's a student hammering a charm using a plastic mallet. I did tell them to keep their fingers off the bench block...!
Above you can see the necklace. I actually made this piece a year ago while teaching a workshop series over in Provence, France. It's quite inspiring for this time of year; I think the colors say "Halloween" quite clearly.
Here I am teaching and demo-ing so to speak, which I do continuously throughout each day. I don't know if other teachers do this or not, but I always teach all day. I feel compelled to give as much as I can to my students in the limited time we have together.
Here's a happy student, looks like she's taking a short break.
Studious attention to detail is one of the keys to success in jewelry making!
The mixed-metals bracelet with copper tubing, wire, coins, handmade charms and more is pictured above. It was fun to give out handmade clasps to everyone so they could have a finished sample to look at, and then teach them two different ways to make them. I also did a fun demo on making the coolest beads with copper tubing. And we made some fun charms, twisted wire to make jump rings... it was a very full day!
A small group of us went down to the harbor to eat at El Torito, where they gave us the most beautiful seating right by a huge picture window looking out on the harbor.
Here's a view of the harbor, taken right from my seat in the restaurant. The food was terrific, and I loved my blackberry margarita!
Another angle on the harbor, at sundown.
And here's my blackberry margarita! Highly recommended if you ever go to El Torito. Their food is very good and well priced. Loved my rita, makes me thirsty now just looking at it...
Here's a sample of the Ethnic Coin necklace, which we all made on Saturday. We used a metal hole punch instead of a drill to punch holes in our coins, used copper tacks to make rivets, made heavy-gauge jump rings and figure-8 links, a clasp, and so much more... this is a fun class but rather intensive. We had a lot to cover in just one day, but we did it! Later I saw one of my students wearing her necklace in the hotel lobby, and it was gorgeous. She was extremely happy, too.
That makes all the hard work more than worthwhile!
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

No comments: