Friday, May 13, 2011

Savings on Groceries: The Treasure Box

June 2011 Protein Box JPG
I just heard about this wonderful program at my local church and had to tell you about it. It's called The Treasure Box, a division of Good Source Solutions (a food-distribution company).
Basically it's set up to help families get through this dratted recession by providing boxes of grocery items at a greatly reduced rate. They offer boxes of prepared frozen meals, the protein box for grilling (that's the one I ordered), a breakfast box, one called "simply enough," and more. Each month the menu changes a bit, so you have to look it over carefully before you order. I'm not big on breakfast items or prepared TV dinners, so I just went with the simple protein box which is ideal for summer grilling.
Here's a link to the June menu offerings: MENU
I'm only paying $32 for a box of grilling meats that would normally cost $60 or even more (especially in Idyllwild, where grocery items are expensive). I think that's a great deal. You don't have to be "poor" to use the Treasure Box system, but you do have to find a social organization (such as a church or synagogue, or something similar) in your area that's set up to provide distribution of the boxes on designated dates. You can order a box online here. Or you can order through your social organization's team of volunteers.
I hope you find this information helpful. I think it's a great program, especially for growing families on tight budgets, but it's great for single people and seniors who don't like to prepare big meals. It's a way to save money during very difficult and stressful times, and I'm all for that!
Sharilyn

1 comment:

Linda Sinish said...

Hi Sharilyn, Thank you for this valuable information. I'm going to check with my local church(es) to see if this program is offered in my area. Saving on the food expense is terrific, not to mention saving the gas and time to go shop. Then I can use the savings to buy more wire ;^) ~ LINDA