Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012!

I just want to wish everyone a very happy, healthy, and creative year in 2012. We've been through some stressful times and there may be a bit more to come, but I believe that we have hope for a turnaround in this country if we all work together and help each other through it.
One thing that I started doing in the past few months is to make a conscious effort to buy goods that are made in the USA—whenever possible. I also shopped locally (in my small town of Idyllwild, California) for Christmas presents last December. I'm ashamed to say that I have never done this before, and I've lived in this town for five and a half years!
In 2012 I intend to take even more care with my purchases and look for a "made in the USA" label on everything I buy. This isn't always possible of course, because so many of our goods are made in other countries, especially China. But, we can all try this and purchase American-made products over foreign-made items of comparable value. I'm also keeping an eye out for handmade items, and hope to support local artists (as my budget allows!) by purchasing their small art pieces.
Since we are all coming out of a recession, perhaps we might consider offering budget-friendly items to our customers. I have a rep in the Dallas area who sells my handmade jewelry for rather high prices, which is great of course, but I'm going to be making more earrings and small pins and things of this nature for her, which will be more affordable for everyone.
If we all made a resolution this year to purchase just one piece of handmade art or craft made in the USA, imagine the impact that would have! I'm excited about the possibilities...
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

No comments: