Thursday, August 2, 2012

Finished Found-Object Necklace

I finally finished my found-object necklace with a big riveted pendant, which started out as a Metallo del Fiore bangle bracelet during my Wild Wire Women retreat last weekend. Somehow, this piece just wanted to be a pendant instead; I'm sure you know how that goes. Anyway it's a heavy piece so there were some challenges making it into a wearable pendant, but from then on it was simply fun, fun, fun adding creative handmade wire elements to the necklace.
Here's a closeup of the 12ga wire clasp, a big, loopy fellow! Kinda reminds me of a seahorse or something. I love manipulating big fat wire, hammering and texturing it, and then making it into something functional like a clasp.
The heavy brass piece pictured above was purchased at a flea market in Italy last summer. It's riveted with 14ga wire to a heavy-gauge sheet medallion with a very simple design to frame it.
Here's a closeup of some of the wirework in this necklace. I think it would make a great full-day workshop for intermediate students or even beginners who are up for a challenge. The necklace includes design work, sawing, polishing, and texturing sheet metal, riveting, plus making several different wire bead wraps and links, and a big loopy clasp. If you're interested, let me know!
To see some of the other projects created during last weekend's retreat, click here. To learn more about my Wild Wire Women retreats, click here. I hope to see you in Idyllwild someday soon!
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn