Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Wine Tasting in Temecula

My friend Susan and I drove together to the Temecula wine country today for a fun afternoon of wine tasting and lunch in one of the most beautiful rural areas of Southern California. We started at her favorite winery, South Coast Winery, Resort & Spa. The photo above shows the backside of the winery and restaurant, where we had lunch (with ice water only, because we'd been tasting so much wine!) and then took a walk around the grounds and enjoyed the vineyards.
Here's Susan, posing on the steps that lead up to the restaurant. I had one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever, simply stuffed with grilled mushrooms and a little bit of spinach, with a small bowl of tomato soup. Susan had the beef dip sandwich, and said it was delicious.
Whenever I'm in Europe, I always take lots of pix of the gorgeous ironwork fences and gates. South Coast Winery had similar beauty treatments outside and I enjoyed taking some photos for inspiration.
Roses and other flowers abounded everywhere we went, but most of them were past their prime so I only took one photo. Gorgeous, though! Here's one of the hand-carved and painted wooden doors leading to the gift shop. Amazing:
Fans of Harry Potter will love this one:
I couldn't resist taking a photo of the metal wall decor. Imagine this as a sawn and pierced brooch! But you'd have to be really good at sawing such an intricate design. Something to aspire to...
So, we tasted wine at three vineyards:
South Coast (I purchased a bottle of their sparkling wine, a bottle of Black Jack port, and a red wine that I just loved called Romanza)
Wilson Creek (I purchased just one bottle of Late Harvest Zinfandel, just gorgeous, but I would have loved to have picked up their peach-flavored sparkling wine as well; they're famous for their almond-flavored sparkling wine, which I also enjoyed but I was running out of cash)
Inn at Churon Winery (I purchased a bottle of sherry and a bottle of Chocolate Bliss desert wine)
I highly recommend taking an afternoon for wine tasting. It's a great opportunity to try before you buy, instead of taking wild guesses while shopping at Trader Joe's or Costco or Bevmo! You find yourself purchasing things you never would have believed, like sherry (I'm not a sherry drinker, but the Churon Winery's sherry is incredible), port wines... and sparkling wine. We'll be popping the cork on that baby this Thanksgiving.
Cheers, everyone!
Sharilyn

No comments: