Sunday, November 18, 2012

New Painted Ceramic Pendants!

My first batch of high-fired porcelain pendants just came out of the kiln on Friday, and I'm so thankful that, during the second firing (after bisque firing), I fired some pendants without glaze. This made it possible for me to add permanent inks, stains, glazes, paints, and metallics to the fired clay to obtain some very cool effects...
Because I made so many pendants a few weeks ago, I was able to experiment with some different sizes and shapes. Big fat square pendants like the ones pictured above are my current favorites.
Circle-cut pendants can be cool as well, if you use stamps and other texturing tools to reshape them a bit, giving them an organic appearance.
I really love the leaves, too. They can be made to represent real leaves, or they can be designed with layers of complex abstract textures.
I also made lots of small pendants, about two inches in diameter. They're quick, and fun to make.
My favorite part of the process is probably the painting. It takes a very long time to apply so many layers of dyes and paints, but the end result is well worth the effort. Now I'm getting ready to put some of these pendants in my necklace designs... stay tuned, I'll be sure to post those when they're finished.
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

2 comments:

Joan Piwowar said...

these are gorgeous! Do I understand you correctly, that after you bisque fire the unglazed pendants you then color them with paint and ink instead of glaze?

Cynthia@Ornamental Style said...

Absolutely spectacular! Love the textures and colors.