Monday, December 31, 2012

First Snowfall, Last Day of 2012

Today is the last day of 2012, and it seems fitting that we finally got our first real snowfall here in Idyllwild last night. It's not much, maybe five or six inches at my house (I'm at 5,000 feet elevation) but it's just enough snow to drape the landscape in loveliness.
I love the icicles that form overnight. Some of them are two feet long!
I have to break them off, though, because if I don't they'll eventually fall with a crash that scares the squirrels! And I might be underneath one when it happens, so I always break them off as a precaution.
This little spindly tree is so beautiful in the summertime, when it's full of lime-green leaves.
Here's the vista just outside my living room window. I have a gorgeous view of the valley from my house, perched on the edge of the National Forest. The panoramic view from my art studio is the same... which can be very distracting. I love it! But I have to turn my back to it while I work, or I'd never get anything done.
Sad to think that all this beauty will have melted away within about 48 hours at most. But that's snow in Idyllwild: always gorgeous, never so much of it that we feel snowbound for any length of time. I wish everyone one last glorious day in 2012 before we step into the future tomorrow. I believe that 2013 will be a wonderful year full of promise and grace. I wish you all the very best!
Sharilyn

No comments: