Tuesday, January 1, 2013

NEW Workshop: Little Metal Books

I want to wish everyone a peaceful, fruitful, and creative new year in 2013!
Now's a great time to introduce you to a new workshop I'm offering on making little metal books. These arty books are terrific for travel journals or simply for keeping in your purse or pocket for jotting down your creative ideas, sketches, watercolors, or collages.
Measuring about 3-1/2˝x4-1/4˝, they are made of durable copper sheet that's been sawn and pierced with an original design, textured, antiqued, and attached to a book block of Rives BFK printmaking paper using the centuries-old Coptic stitch.
This workshop—suitable for book artists as well as jewelry artists of all skill levels (yes, even beginners)—runs for two full days. You'll learn lots of great skills and techniques that can be translated over to jewelry arts, including designing positive/negative space, using a jeweler's saw, filing and polishing metal, texturing with hammers and chasing tools, riveting, the Coptic stitch, and more. I backed my metal covers with sheets of mica, but the covers are so sturdy, they really don't need any backing at all.
If you're a jewelry artist looking for ways to "get out of the rut" of repeatedly making the same thing, perhaps you need a little kick in a new creative direction. Making a little artist book using metalsmithing skills could be just the thing for you!
If you're a book artist who has always wanted to work with metal to make book covers, this is a terrific class for you, too. Workshop retreats that take place in my home always include all the metal (sheet and wire) needed to make your projects, and in the case of the Little Metal Books workshop, I provide ALL the materials needed to make one book, including copper sheet, printmaking paper, and waxed linen thread. You'll use my studio tools, so there's no need to purchase anything prior to the workshop.
Sound good? Plan to join me in 2013. I have several retreats scheduled through the winter and spring months, and I'd love to meet you here in Idyllwild, California.
For more information on my retreats, click here.
Best wishes to everyone,
Sharilyn

No comments: