Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New Workshop at Monica's: Metallo del Fiore Bracelet

Next week I'm teaching a super-popular workshop that will be new for Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations: the Metallo del Fiore bangle bracelet. In this full-day class, learn to design a metal motif appropriate for a bangle (I will also show you how it could be used as a pendant instead), saw it out, file and polish, then texture and shape the metal. Your motif needn't be a flower; you could design any number of different shapes that would be ideal for this fun bracelet. See the Butterfly Bangle I made last year, below:
This is a terrific workshop for anyone who is new to the jeweler's saw, or perhaps has not "made friends" with her saw yet! I will teach you to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your jeweler's saw. Trust me, you will fall in love with sawing metal. Pictured below: A wonderful Sunflower Bangle made by my talented student Priya during a Wild Wire Women retreat last year:
I'll provide a paper template with several different designs for metal motifs that can be used in your bracelet, but we will also work on creating your own original design if you so desire. Pictured below: Flower Power Bangle designed and made by another talented student, Kim. Like Priya, Kim was new to sawing metal but she took to it like a pro.
Pictured below: Another beautiful bangle made by another student of mine who was new to sawing metal before she took my class. Heidi is also a talented ceramics artist who makes gorgeous clay beads. I hope she opens an etsy store one of these days, but that's a subject for another day...
I just wanted you to see that even if you're new to working with metal or using a jeweler's saw or design work for jewelry, you can be very successful in this class. About half the time we will work with sheet metal, and half the time with wire, including lots of coiling and spiraling and making wire charms and a handmade clasp.
This is one of my most popular workshops, and the class on Feb. 14 at Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations is filling up fast! To register, visit their web site here or call the store:
760-772-2400
Hope to see you there!
Sharilyn

No comments: