Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Creating New Enameled Beads

This week I've been having a lot of fun playing with the torch, enameling some iron-filigree beads I've had for about a year and also a few big copper beads that I am ashamed to admit I've been hoarding for about 12 years. Well, I never really had much inspiration until lately, so the copper beads just sat there in a big bag taunting me for the longest time.
Things changed in the last couple of weeks because suddenly I've been very busy teaching workshops and classes at some local bead stores, and I've found myself feeling exhausted and empty. This can happen when you teach a lot but you aren't creating new things. The only thing I know to do when I'm feeling out of sorts is to try something I've never attempted before. For me, that was making enameled beads using metal beads as a base and enamels with glass frit to decorate them.
I really liked how they came out, so I dug out some Thai silver bead caps hidden away in my stash and some sterling silver wire that I can't afford to use right now and shouldn't.... and said the heck with it, I'm going to use my silver! I love the results, and I'm looking forward to incorporating my new beads into a necklace or two.
Whatever I come up with, I'll be sure to share it here. I hope you're all feeding the fires of creativity, wherever that may take you!
Sharilyn

2 comments:

Now you see it....A Charmed Life said...

You never cease to amaze me! These beads are beautiful! xoxoxo

Cynthia said...

Love your enameled beads with the frit! I also have been using frit on my enamel beads. I got a small amount of raku frit from a lampworker friend, and I love it!! I like raku frit on lampwork beads, so of course I like it on enamel beads! Keep having fun!!