Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Enameled Bead Jewelry!

For the past week or so I've been working on some new jewelry designs using my hand-painted porcelain pendants and my torch-enameled beads. In honor of the occasion I broke out my precious sterling-silver wire and used a few Thai-silver beads and caps, too. It's been fun and quite liberating to use my own beads and pendants in jewelry designs, something that I've never done before.
You could say that I'm thoroughly hooked on making torch-enameled beads. Caps, too! It's easy and fun to make your own enameled bead caps, and being able to color-coordinate findings with your beads adds greatly to your design options. Of course, I'll always use gemstones, handmade glass beads and pearls in my designs as well.
Mother's Day is just around the corner, so I'm motivated to make some new items for Mom and also to tempt my students who are always wanting to learn something new. Me, too! This July I'll be taking a course in ceramics where I hope to learn much more about making unusual beads and pendants to use in my jewelry. And I look forward to experimenting more with torch enameling.
I had fun creating a brand-new hook clasp to add to my new jewelry designs. Lots of silver was used in these pieces, but I think it was a worthwhile investment.
It's important for jewelry artists to continue adding to their repertoire of skills. I'm grateful to have had many opportunities to learn wire jewelry techniques, metalsmithing methods, torch and kiln enameling, and now ceramic-bead making. Who knows what's next?
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn
p.s. I have several openings in my spring/summer workshop schedule. For more information, click here.

No comments: