Saturday, April 20, 2013

NEW Workshop at BBW this Saturday: Sawing & Piercing

On Saturday (April 27, 2013), I'm teaching a new workshop on sawing & piercing metal to make cuffs like the ones pictured above and below... but, I'm also going to show how to use these skills to make a gorgeous pendant and set of earrings, too.
Once you master the jeweler's saw, you'll be set free to do all sorts of creative things with metal that you may never have thought of before. I like making cuffs, but big gorgeous pendants and little delicate earring designs are fabulous alternatives.
The class runs from 10 am to 5 pm at Brea Bead Works; for registration information, call:
714-671-9976
In this full-day workshop, we'll start with designs on paper and discuss the importance of fitting a pattern properly. For example, the leaf-shaped cuff at the top of this post is the same length as the wide cuff beneath it, but it's too short for me to wear as-is because the tapered points make the cuff fit differently than if they were wide like the second cuff. These are important issues to consider before you begin to cut a piece of metal.
Besides designing some cool patterns for our cuffs (or pendants or earrings), we'll learn how to saw and pierce out holes and shapes from metal, some filing techniques, texturing with tools and hammers, and antiqueing methods. We'll also discuss different ways to apply all of these techniques to many different types of jewelry.
I also want to share my Little Metal Books with my students (more sawing, piercing, filing, polishing and texturing) so they can see that metal-art techniques can be applied to a wide variety of different art forms that go beyond the craft of jewelry making. There won't be time to teach how to bind a book in this class, but I hope that my samples will stimulate some creative thought in new directions.
I hope to see YOU in class on Saturday, at Brea Bead Works!
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

1 comment:

NCornett said...

I love your new cuffs - and in general your wonderful pierce and sawing technique. Wish you weren't so far away!