Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Mom Models Pure-Knit Shawl with My New Handmade Buttons!

Last week I ordered one of those gorgeous PURE knit shawls that are so popular right now, as a gift for my mom. At 80 years old, she's more sensitive to the cold, especially around her neck and shoulders. So when I saw these beautiful shawls online, I had to purchase one for her right away.
But I confess, I had another motivation! "Mom, how would you like to be a model?" I asked her this morning. Like a good sport, she went along with my plan. You see, I've been taking a very intensive ceramics workshop at Idyllwild Arts for the past two weeks with Greg Kennedy and David Delgado. During the workshop, while the other students made beautiful bowls, teapots, mugs, vases, and other large decorative items, I worked almost exclusively on my new line of ceramic buttons and pendants.
I wanted to show them off, and it seemed only natural to alter Mom's new knit shawl with my own handmade buttons! Hence the modeling job. I put Mom to work! Here she is, showing another way to wear the shawl wrapped more closely around the shoulders:
Doesn't she look great for 80, and NO makeup—except a little lipstick. Go Mom! Here's a picture of the third button on her shawl (it comes with plain coconut buttons, which are cute enough, but it's more fun to embellish clothing with your own wearable art):
So I thought I'd share a few photos of some of my other buttons that came out of the kiln last week. Here's a trio of 2-inch diameter buttons in blue/brown glaze:
More hearts; they measure about 2-1/4 inches in diameter:
Some funky round buttons that measure about 2-1/2 inches in diameter:
Gotta love these square ones! But they're big, about 2-1/4 inches in diameter:
More square buttons of about the same size; I love the glaze combinations (I did lots of layering):
Earthy designs make these squares pop out:
Although I prefer the dark, grungy look, I can also work in lighter colors:
Back to grungy! I just love these two:
This photo gives you a closeup view and a better idea of just how large these buttons are. They are big and bold, heavy, and decorative more than functional. Definitely not practical; my buttons are much more suitable for sewing onto knit or crocheted items like handbags, scarves, hats, shawls, big bulky sweaters, and the like.
This morning I talked with Monica over at Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations (Palm Desert) and she's considering taking on some of my buttons in her store on a commission basis. I hope to get them down to the desert this Thursday so she can have a look, but I'm not sure if I'll make it due to the firefighting efforts taking place right now in the forest just below Idyllwild. Our firefighters are the best in the world, so I have no doubt they'll have this thing under control within a couple of days. For now, the highway is closed so everyone's staying in town. I'll keep you updated and if Monica decides to sell my buttons in her store, I'll let you know right away!
Cheers,
Sharilyn

3 comments:

Anne Hale said...

Hi Sharilyn - the buttons are fabulous (naturally!). I've enjoyed following your work since I got to take one of your classes in St. Louis way back when. I've been following the fire reports & hopefully the positive news that I'm hearing extends to your family & your home. One of these days I'll get out to a retreat! Take care!

Patti said...

Sharilyn, love the photo of your mom! The buttons are so amazing. Love, love, love them!!! Patti

Sharilyn Miller said...

Thanks so much!
Yes, Mom looks fab. And I totally WANT that shawl I gave her...