Sunday, September 8, 2013

Crocheted Bag: Recycled T-Shirts & Plastic Bags!

Believe it or not, this fabulous hand-crocheted bag was made entirely of recycled products, including old worn-out T-shirts and used plastic grocery bags! My friend Judith Schonebaum (a resident of Idyllwild) made this gorgeous handbag, and I bought it from her two years ago as a birthday present to myself. You gotta do that sometimes! So I indulged myself in this funky bag, and I've never regretted it. But as lovely as my handbag is, I felt that it was crying out for something extra...
A button! Yes, pictured above is one of my own handmade ceramic buttons that I'm simply nuts about making these days. In colors of blue and green, it reminds me of the ocean waves and my previous home in South Orange County. I sewed it on my handbag this weekend.
You know, when you make your own artsy buttons it can be difficult selling them to others because you want to keep them all to yourself! Yeah, I know. Much better to share.
So you can find my buttons for sale at Monica's Quilt & Bead Creations in Palm Desert, California, and in my etsy store. More stores will be procuring them soon! I have appointments with several storeowners and as they pick up my buttons, I'll let you know who and where they are.
In the meantime, I hope you've found this post inspirational because I am continually inspired by my friend Judith. Although an accomplished, in-demand oil painter, Judith is just as passionate about her handicrafts, and she really loves to recycle. Friends in Idyllwild donate their old T-shirts, which she rips into strips and crochets along with used plastic grocery bags, which I prefer not to think about too much. Oh, she also adds old cassette and VHS tape to the mix, for a little sparkle.
Cheers for creativity!
Sharilyn

No comments: