Friday, September 19, 2014

Oct. 9-13 WWW Retreat: Classes Chosen!

I'm super-excited about the lineup of classes my students have chosen for my next Wild Wire Women retreat to be held in my mountain home in Idyllwild this October 9-13! Here's our itinerary:
Upon arrival on Thursday afternoon, we'll relax with champagne and snacks, visit, and then head off for a delicious dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. Early to bed... and the first class begins on Friday.
We're going to spend a full day on foldforming. The cuff pictured above is a complex design (thank you to Louise Duhamel for teaching me how to make big cuffs!), with lots of foldforming, hammering, and texturing with hammers and chasing tools.
It takes an entire day to make one like it, but students also have the option to make smaller pieces such as earrings, small pendants, or pins like the one pictured below:
Sharon Nodelman is the talented artist who made this super-modern foldformed pin during one of my retreats. She not only works in metal and wire, but she's recently started making gorgeous beads with polymer clay. It was an honor to have her in my class!
On Saturday we switch gears, and devote ourselves entirely to wirework. We'll spend the day making as many different wire beads, wraps, connectors (links), and clasps as we can.
I provide copper wire to work with throughout the course of the weekend, but some students have told me they intend to bring some sterling silver wire to make their pieces.
The "Colorful Tribal Necklace" pictured above was made during a workshop retreat held in the south of France back in 2009. This design is one option for our retreat this October; as is the "Fruit of the Vine" necklace pictured below:
A fun "Silver Sampler" bracelet is another option, and naturally it can be made using copper or brass wire instead of sterling silver:
On Sunday we'll explore some new frontier, learning how to successfully fuse fine silver to make wire links, dangles, clasps, pendants, and other jewelry designs. It's not a difficult process, but it does take some practice and it's helpful to have a teacher guide you through the steps if fusing fine silver is new to you. The earrings pictured below are among my bestsellers in my etsy shop, too!
Some of my students have told me they intend to spend all of Sunday fusing their fine silver wire to make jewelry (keeping in mind that I do not provide fine silver wire; students must provide their own).
One of my students has professed a passionate interest in torch enameling, so I'll spend the second half of Sunday teaching her some really basic techniques to get her started. We'll use a torch to enamel some copper charms and use them in a simple jewelry piece. A good basic introduction to enameling, and I provide all the materials and tools necessary.
That's it for the weekend! Three full days absolutely jam-packed with instruction and plenty of time for practice. The retreat includes accommodations in my mountain home, seven meals, use of my studio tools, all the copper wire and sheet metal needed to make the jewelry, and some fun extras as well. I'm really looking forward to this retreat, the last one for the 2014 season. Please be sure to check my blog around October 12 or 13 to see the jewelry we make over the weekend!
For more information on my Wild Wire Women retreats, click here.
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn

1 comment:

Blogger said...

With BullionVault you are able to obtain physical gold & silver bars at current market prices.

Your gold and silver may be stored at one of 5 secure worldwide vaults. And you may exchange it online or take out physical bars.